Actual Skiing!!!

So we did it.  

We got right back on the horse. 

Even though everything was going wrong
on Wednesday and we had made no plans
to go skiing on Thursday, it was just so 
beautiful out that we decided to give it a go.

I had a much better feeling this time, 
but I am me, so I still had my typical
optimistic skepticism going.

We decided to try the rental place across 
the street this time.  I guess Mom prefers 
that one, we had only gone to the other one 
the day before because I was standing in 
front of it, waiting for Mom, so it just ended
up that way. 

I liked the first place, they gave Ava super 
short red skis and cute white boots.  She 
just went with it, even though she really does
have an opinion about everything, especially 
colors of things. 

Anyhow, this guy, at this new place, must of 
really GOT IT.  He saw her coming or something,
he brought her out the pink skis with unicorns on 
them, pretty much her dream skis really.

It was one of those moments where you just 
know that might of been the kicker.  We were
a little unsure if Ava would take to skiing, she is 
a little weird about things sometimes.  She still 
struggles with weather she likes sledding or not
because it's a little fast for her taste, so skiing 
seems questionable. 

But PINK UNICORN SKIS?

Oh yeah, you got her.

She is yours skiing, that was mostly all it will take.

She did have a moment half way down the hill on 
the first run where she looked like she was ready 
to throw in the towel but when she thought about 
never seeing those skis again, I think there really 
was only one choice, forge on through.

And she did.

She skied like crazy.  Full throttle, fearless, go getter. 
I didn't even know she had that in her.  

She never wanted to stop.  She wanted to race me 
down the hill and each time she fell she would just 
get right back up again (just like we talked about).

She was amazing.  I was so incredibly proud.  

She kept screaming "I'm a skier!  I've got this!  I 
don't need any help!!"  

She even went on and on about how she would now
teach Colton to ski.  The girl refused to wear the 
harness we were using to slow her down after the
 first few runs.

That about gave me a heart attack.

So incredibly fearless!!!

Now mind you all of this in on the bunny slope
so things might change as we go up, up, up. 

Only time will tell but I think we are off to a very 
good start.  She was snow plowing to stop, turning
a little, and going way faster then any other kid I 
saw out there. 

I had a good day too.  It has been 15 plus years 
since I have skied and I have never been much 
past Ava's level so this is all very new to me too.

But it was coming back, whatever it was that I used
to know : )

The 151, peppermint schnapps & hot chocolate
I started our skiing off with was so delicious!  I 
might just have to make that my new skiing tradition!

I couldn't be more pleased that things went as 
well as they did.  It was a super huge contrast from 
the day before, but really I'm glad that happened too,
it just puts it all in perspective, and sometimes 
the right perspective is half the battle.  : )
 The proud new owner of Pink Unicorn Skis, thank you Grandma!!
 We love you Ava!!  You earned them!
 

Comments

Mike Marzett said…
Way to go Ava! I'm proud of you! My toe is almost healed enough to actually try skiing!
guzzi guy said…
Those skis are awesome. So she ended up owning them?
Sarah said…
Yes, Mom got them for her. The place we rented them from sells everything they rent, just in case you fall in love with it, which she did. : )
Nain said…
You have me sold with that drink. Go Ava! I love that she is fearless!
Rachel said…
what a brave little girl!!

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...