Logistical Nightmare

Our family lives in a 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch style house. That sounds like it would be perfect for a 2 kid family right? Well not so much. I am rather attached to the idea of a guest bedroom and John really likes having an office. These rooms merged together as one when Ava came along. That was a great solution for us, everyone was still happy.

Now we have Norah, she is almost here and we haven't a clue where to put her : )

I envision the girls sharing a room eventually. But for now I can't even imagine how that would work.

When I first saw the layout of this house where all the bedrooms are close together on one side of the house it seemed perfect for having a baby. The baby would be close by for those late night feedings and such.

Turns out I was wrong.

I HATED our room bAlign Lefteing so close to Ava. My mommy ears never turned off, I heard any little squeak she made and rushed to her side. During the Cry it Out phase and the Your Not a Very Nice Two Year Old stage this bedroom closeness has been quite torturous.

I'm so excited to combine the two not so awesome stages of sleeping between TWO kids! They can even wake each other up! This is going to be so fun!!

My first thought was to hold onto my beloved office / guest room / John's closet and turn it into a make shift second bedroom for Ava. She wouldn't get to take it over with all her stuff but she could sleep in there at night in a new big girl bed (our guest bed) and then share a room with Norah the rest of the time. She seemed excited about this for awhile but all of a sudden she is having major anxiety over just the thought of this happening. Usually I enjoy torturing Ava on some level or another but in this case not so much. Time for a new plan.

I think it is safe to say keeping Ava in the only room she has ever known will make transitioning into this sharing a world that used to revolve around her a little easier. Plus there is the added bonus that Norah will not have any preconceived notions about where she ought to be.

So I think my new plan is moving the crib into the office and moving most of the "office" either into the garage or our bedroom. The guest bed will stay put and that room will be turned into more of a nursery. We will need to get Ava a new bed, maybe even bunk beds that would work well for the two girls later.

It's all a little bit of a logistical nightmare. But in truth I never felt very comfortable with the original arrangement for Ava. I think things are going to much smoother with this new plan.

Or at least as smooth as things can go with two kids that never let you sleep.

Maybe there is room in the garage?
Can I keep them both out there?

Comments

Rhi said…
I think this sounds a lot more realistic than the previous plan. As the oldest I think Ava deserves to keep her room (for awhile) until she adjust to big sisterhood and bunk beds can become a reality. Maybe at that time you can even trick her into thinking that sharing a room is her brilliant idea!

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...