Happy New Year?!

This New Year started off a little differently. We had just watched our dog drive off with another family, we were feeling really good about where she was going. They promised all sorts of fun, love and attention. There was a stay at home mom who desperately wanted Lily, 2 somewhat little kids and a lab puppy. It all sounded so ideal, like Lily's perfect dream home situation.

We had resolved to be happy for her, even Ava who took the news poorly at first.

Sadly, soon after we arrived at the beach with our friends and family to celebrate New Years we got a phone call from the mom of the family that took Lily. She told me that Lily had been biting, even drawing blood on her 4 year old. I was shocked. I explained to her that Lily does not bite but can get a little nippy and crazy if you play fight with her (which we told her husband not to do), but has never BIT anyone. She said her son was JUST pulling her tail, getting in her face and tackling her, you know like kids do.

I couldn't believe my ears. Why on earth is she letting that child anywhere near a dog that has just had it's world turned upside down? Why would she think there would be any other reaction from Lily then just that. I would bite her kid too!

We got into a screaming match, there was no reasoning with this woman. (Up to that point I had only dealt with her sane, nice husband) She accused me of lying, saying that she was sure it was the fact that Lily bites was the actual reason we were getting rid of her. Like if that was the case I would choose a family with kids!! I couldn't make it through the conversation, I had to hand off the phone to John.

Since we were out of town we really couldn't go get Lily at that moment. I decided to place a new ad and get the ball rolling on finding the next family for her, one that is more suited for Lily.

In my ad I put a new disclaimer as to make sure that no one that is worried about having their child bit would pick Lily to be their pet. Here is what I wrote, word for word:
On a side note we just picked a family I thought would be perfect for Lily and got a call back saying she wasn't working out. They said she was biting their four year old son. She has NEVER bit before. They told me he kept getting in her face, pulling her tail and tackling her. I am not sure why you would let a child behave that way at all but especially around a dog that is adapting to a new household. Now we are dealing with starting a very difficult process all over again. This is very hard on our family and I hope the next people we choose will be better suited to helping Lily adjust to her new surroundings. So please don't take this decision lightly, only respond if you think you are PERFECT for her.

Can you guess what happened next??

She read the ad.

Then she TOTALLY freaked out.

She called back FURIOUS telling me that I am extremely immature and that she can't believe I wrote that. After a new round of screaming I again handed the phone off to John, he said they were threatening to take Lily to the pound if we didn't come get her that second.

We finally got them to agree to wait until morning, we cut our trip short and went and got our dog. The whole ordeal basically ruined our New Years. We had a really difficult time letting go of all the stress and worry that was coming with this new turn of events. We also had to send friends that had drove a long way home early to deal with it. Good thing we have understanding friends. Regardless the whole thing just sucks. We were mourning, then resolved, then feeling pretty happy about everything and then BAM, everything changed and went totally sour.

Lily is home now, cuddled on my lap, looking as happy as can be.

We have gone back and forth about what to do next. We are in no hurry to get her a new home. I love and missed her so much it is tempting to ignore all the really good solid reasons we came to this decision in the first place. I still think it is best for her, but this time we will have to be a lot more sure on the family and maybe do a Psyche evaluation just to be extra certain...

Comments

guzzi guy said…
Yikes! I am *so* sorry to hear this news. I believe the you did everything humanly possible to deal with this situation and the way that you found what sounded like a perfect home for Lilly only to come out this way. I *really* wish you the very best in working this out going forward.
Ugh, that is horrible! I'm glad you got her out of there, and that lady sounds crazy. Poor Lilly...
Rhi said…
There are so many things about this that blow me away.1 that she let her child act that way around a dog that was new to them 2 that she blamed you and lily and not het own judgement 3 that she read your new listing...what was she doing looking for a Lily replacement to torture already 4 she actually called to yell at you over your disclaimer. Wow. I am so sorry that a difficult decision and process has taken such an ugly turn. Poor Lily must have felt really out of place and was probably never so happy to see you. I hope you can find a happy conclusion for all of you.
Madeline said…
Maybe Lily will behave better now that she has been tortured! I hope she bit the mom in the butt for being so stupid! I am so sorry that you have to deal with such a stressful situation while pregnant! There is a special place in hell for her!

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...