Back to The Springs

Nearly every day we drive by The Springs
where Grandpa used to live.

Ava always points it out to me, 
"Look Mom!!  That's The Springs!  Where Grandpa used
to live!!"  Then she gets quiet, "But he died.  But we can 
still go there and visit the other old people, Linda is going
to take me back there some day..."

For eight months I have had that same conversation, 
over and over.

So yesterday Linda was coming for a visit & we 
decided that this should be The Day.  

"Ava, Linda is coming over today, we are going to go to 
The Springs and have lunch"

She looks at me like I have completely lost my mind.

"Mom, I'm so sorry, you can't go with us."

Apparently this was an "Ava & Linda" thing, little 
did I know.  She is always looking for ways to 
get away from me, which I really can't blame her.
So many days I feel the same way : )

But I did want to go.  There were so many people that lived
at The Springs that we grew attached to in the time 
Grandpa lived there.  I also knew that it might be hard
on Linda to go back to such a place filled with bitter sweet 
memories, the last days of her father.

Finally Ava acquiesced and I was "allowed" to join them.

It was weird being back there.  The place looked just the 
same but he was not there.  The place doesn't really 
represent Grandpa to me, so much of the time he was 
kicking and screaming through the process.  But then it 
also does represent him in other ways.  There were so many
nice days we spent together there too.  I miss him so much.
But I am also glad he has peace now.  

We got to see many old friends and you could see that the 
joy Ava & Norah brings to them is still just as strong as ever.

I really should bring them in there more often, they are like puppies
for sick people.  They can change the whole day of someone that
just gets to look at them.  Maybe I'm too close to them to see it, 
that charm is a little lost on me.  Don't get me wrong, they are 
cute and all and there are moments when I can't imagine them not
melting every heart around them.  They can really ham it up and 
delight even the most skeptic non-kid person.  

But this was different, just their littleness and cuteness was
bringing joy to people they wouldn't even look at, the ones
they were shying away from.  It makes me remember the 
fact that it was always this way when we used to go there
a million times each week.  It almost makes me feel guilty 
for not bringing them in for the last 8 months, like I have 
been withholding what they all need.  

So maybe I will try to work The Springs back into my routine
a little, maybe a lunch here or there every now and then.  

That is if Ava lets me join her...one never knows : )


Comments

guzzi guy said…
Very cool that you would take them there and cheer up those folks!

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...