Broken.

Ava has been awesomely outgoing her entire life.
I am constantly proud of her ability to put herself
out there, talk to people, do new things, show anyone
who will watch how amazing she is.

Before I had her I made a very conscious decision to
not let her become afraid of bugs.

I hate when parents (usually moms) get their kids
all freaked out about bugs & spiders.
It drives me INSANE.

Even if you are scared of bugs why must you bring
your child into that same irrational behavior?
Is that really necessary? NO. It is not!!

I am not really scared of any of those things so it is
naturally easy for me to teach Ava not to be either.
She really seems to love all little creatures.

Or I should say seemed to.

Just recently I have seen a new side to her and
it is NOT a pleasant one.

She now, all of a sudden, has started to have absolute
panic attacks over flies, spiders, mosquitoes, mosquito eaters,
even lady bugs if they land on her arm the wrong way. She
sometimes sees a speck of dirt and freaks out thinking it might be
a bug. If there is a fly in the room she is hysterical & crying,
completely inconsolable.

It is RIDICULOUS!

And it makes no sense.

This really can't be MY child.
(I'm usually so happy & proud to claim her!)

We now have to have long discussions with her just
to get her to GO. OUT. SIDE.

WTH?

So seriously?
What do we do?
How do we fix this???

I'm afraid my outgoing wonderful child is on her
way to becoming a total shut in.

Advice would be helpful : )

Comments

Rhi said…
That is weird, she is always so fearless...maybe its just a phase? did she pick it up from one of her friends or something?
Sarah said…
It is only getting worse & worse. I have NEVER seen a kid (or an adult) with this serious of a reaction to spiders & bugs. It is a very real reaction too, not just something you muster up for attention. It is the strangest thing, came out of nowhere. We have given her all kinds of reasons to let it go & not worry. She seems to get it & sits there talking about how she is a giant compared to them, they are scared of me, they help things, she repeats all of this like it's her mantra all day but then the tiniest spider or fly goes by & she starts shrieking & hyperventilating, crying uncontrollably. I just dont get it. I'm going to talk to her pediatrition about it on tuesday.

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...