Norah's Birth Story

I know it's been a few days but I have to say it's been
a busy around here. I woke up Tuesday morning knowing
that was the day.
Something just felt different.
So I rushed around the house getting some last
laundry done, took Ava to swimming class and got
my car cleaned out, which was the last thing on
my to do list. I was ready.

I had my weekly doctor checkup that afternoon also
so I knew I would have an opportunity to get things
checked out later in the afternoon. I went home and
packed my bag (yes I did wait until the last day but I was
afraid I would jinks things if I did it any sooner) got the
car seat installed and headed out to see the doctor.

I wasn't in any crazy amounts of pain yet but I could still
tell things were happening. I was a little nervous that I
hadn't felt Norah moving much that day so I told the
mid wife about my concerns and she hooked me up to
a non-stress test. It is basically 20 minutes where they
monitor to see if the baby is moving. She failed that test.

Right after the test she did move but they decided to give
me an ultra-sound anyway. She failed that too. It wasn't
that she wasn't moving, they could see that but she wouldn't
take a breath and in 30 minutes she is supposed to.
It was a little stressful but I just told myself she was fine
just getting ready for the big show.

As I headed out from the office, 2 hours after I had arrived,
I knew things were starting to get a bit more serious. I
was determined to get some Thai food gobbled up before
we broke into the whole laboring process. I called in a
to-go order, ended up getting stuck in traffic going the
wrong way, all the while having some pretty serious
contractions. When I finally did get to the restaurant
the lady asked me when my baby was due and I told her
"Oh I am thinking tonight for sure." : )

I was thinking it was getting close to time to go to
the hospital as I arrived home so we ate dinner, got
my mom to come pick up Ava and headed out.

As we drove to the hospital I was getting worried that
I might get there too late for my epidural and TRUST ME
that is about the WORST THING that could EVER happen.

But we made it. I wasn't so loving the amount of pain I was in,
but I knew there was an end in sight. After all the paperwork and
questions and lab results they got me hooked up to my epidural
and life was good again.

I knew that from my past experience
with Ava that the best thing I could do at that point was wait it
out. Let my body do the work for me. I chatted with John and
Jessica and relaxed. Every time they thought about me being
ready to push I down played the pressure feeling they are after,
I knew if I waited I wouldn't have to push as long. That is
how it worked with Ava and as long as this time went as
smoothly I would be happy. Finally the midwife came in to
check me and I knew she was going to tell me to push.

As I pushed the first time I could totally feel Norah's head.
That is an awesome feeling knowing that many woman
have to wait out hours of pushing to get to that point.
The midwife had a look of panic on her face and said "Oh
my you are ready but I am not. Hold on just a second."
She got changed into her labor gear and as I pushed the
next time and her head came out. Next push was the rest
of her and done. : ) Yay!! I swear I make this stuff look
easy!! Ava's delivery was pretty easy but this was much
better! Norah's umbilical cord was strangely short so
Jessica cut it right away so they could hand her to me.

I can't get over how beautiful she is. She looks so much
like her sister (at least so far). We are so blessed!!

On the left is a picture of Norah, on the right Ava,
same age:
She was born at 12:34 on 2/2/ 2011. She weighed 6 lbs 7 oz
and was 20 inches long. Perfect.

We convinced the hospital to let us go home the same day at
7pm. They always want you to stay longer but we don't like
the whole hospital scene and we could see no reason to drag
it out. We promised to come into the doctors the next day
so they could check Norah's jaundice level.

Unfortunately at that office visit her bilirubin level
came back at 15 which is really high for being 36 hours
old. The doctor said if it was really 15 they would have to
admit Norah back into the hospital. We then got sent
to the hospital to be re-tested since apparently they
sometimes get a false higher result in the doctors office.

That meant more pricking and draining of Norah's poor
little foot. The first phlebotomist that drew
her blood messed it up. He needed to fill 3 tubes for the
3 tests that were ordered and couldn't seem to get that
much blood from her poor little foot, as she screamed. He
tried twice and had to go get someone else to finish up.
When the next guy came in he informed us that all the
blood that had been collected was now clotted and they
needed to start over. I lost it. I had to leave. It was so
frustrating & sad.

That test came back better. 12.5, still high but more on
the fence. The doctor decided to let her have light
treatments at home rather then have to go stay in
the hospital again. We were very thankful. After a
night of light treatment she seems to be feeling better.
A bit more awake throughout the day and more desiring
food, which was something she didn't seem interested in
at all. So all in all she is now doing great. She is coombs
positive, which Ava was also. It basically means that
my blood is attacking her blood and it causes jaundice.
Not really that big of a deal in the scheme of things but
something we have to make sure we address so it doesn't
present a problem. We got her tested again today.
She needs to continue the light treatments through Sunday
and then be re-tested on Monday.

Here she is getting her tan on:
Best Mother in law EVER!
Visitors, Katharina, Camden & Morgan
Pretty girl

Cuteness:
Love, love!!
Both my girls are doing great and I couldn't be happier!

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! Good job Sarah, looks like everything went so wonderful! I can't believe how much she looks like Ava did when she was born! You seem so relaxed about everything, I'm sure that helps the whole family with this transition (: I can't wait to get together and meet Nora and hear all about how motherhood is with 2!?
Aw, that is so amazing...congratulations! So beautiful!
Madeline said…
Thank you for sharing your story! I am not sure why I am crying, but I think it is the mom in me : ) You have beautifyl girls and I can't wait to meet Norah!!! Good Job and Congrats to you and John : )
The Iwen's: said…
Wow, you do have easy labor and delivery...sheesh! :) She is beautiful. Can't wait to see her in person, hopefully at Matt and Rhi's house warming party later this year! So neat to have sisters...both so adorable. You and John are very blessed. xoxo
Rhi said…
I'm so glad it went so well!

Popular posts from this blog

New Pool!

Birthday Fun

Little girls, big personalities...